Thursday, October 27, 2011

Diet + Exercise Does NOT Equal Wellness!

Most people know that in order to stay well you need to eat a healthy diet, get daily exercise, sleep 8 hours a night, drink plenty of water, take vitamins, wash your hands after being out in public places, etc. I am a big advocate of doing all of these things and more in order to not get sick. I eat a very healthy diet and I have cut out all sugar for the past year. I do a daily 30 - 40 minute walk every day and three days of yoga. I take a probiotic ever day which is SUPPOSED to boost your immune system, take vitamins, and I drink plenty of water, go to bed at 10 p.m. and get up between 7 - 8 in the morning and I am diligent about washing my hands and not touching my face when I come home from being out in public places. But, some how I always get THE CRUD at least once a year! A week ago I woke up with a sore throat. I do have allergies to nearly everything outdoors and I use nasal sprays to combat that. My sore throat continued on for a few days in addition to coughing, nasal congestion and just a general feeling or yukkiness. My friend Mary was flying in last Saturday to stay for a few days, so I made a doctor's appointment on Friday. I asked him if he had some magic potion he could give me to make me feel better before she arrived. He prescribed an antibiotic and cough syrup for my strep throat and upper respiratory infection. My friend Mary arrived and we found lots of fun things to do -- went to the TX State Fair, took the trolley downtown for lunch at Neiman Marcus Cafe, walked on the KATY Trail, went to yoga classes twice, walked around White Rock Lake and had lunch at Eatzi's. I enjoyed having Mary here, but I didn't feel well any of those five days she was visiting. Mary left yesterday, so now I am going to take a Sick Day -- maybe two Sick Days -- and hopefully get rid of this crud!

The thing I don't understand is, Bob eats whatever he wants to eat and he does very little exercising (maybe a walk to work once a week) and he takes no vitamins. He is rarely sick! I think he has had one cold since we have been married in 16 years! It is just NOT FAIR!

NOTE: I am being a little facetious in this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment