Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Cooking & Baking

I love to cook and bake and I don't care if it is over 100 degrees outside, I will make homemade soup and a pan of baked muffins -- from scratch, of course. I was taught to open a cookbook and follow a recipe when I was growing up, so I still do this.

This morning I was trying to think ahead about meals for the day. I don't always do this, but I had no plans for the day and I felt like doing some cooking and baking. As I was looking in the refrigerator and freezer to see what I had on hand, I saw many plastic containers with this and that in them. Well, not really "this" and "that". I had some veggies left over from various meals that I put in one container in the freezer. Good for soups. I had a container of frozen strawberries that I put in there when we were leaving on a trip and we had no time to eat them before we left. I found a strawberry muffin recipe I plan to try later today. I can't eat them, as I no longer eat sugar, but the members of Emanuel Lutheran Church LOVE my homemade baked goodies I take for coffee hour! And I had two containers of pasta sauce, left over from previous meals, that I had frozen. Pasta and sauce will be on the menu for dinner tonight. I had eight containers of food sitting in the freezer and refrigerator. Today was a good day to clean them out!

I am making some chicken/rice/veggie soup with some old carrots that were either use them or toss them in the garbage and the container of the frozen veggies. And I had a roasted chicken carcass with some good meat left on it that I bought for another meal. I can usually get two or three good meals from a little roasted chicken I buy at the grocery store. I put it in the freezer after the meal and use it for soup. I had some leftover rice in the refrigerator that I added to my soup. I added a can of Rotel this time too. I guess this is "Everything But the Kitchen Sink Chicken Soup Recipe".

OK. Time to quit writing about my wonderful soup and go eat some. YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment