Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Hunt for Roadkill Bottle Caps




















Last summer when I was visiting my sister and mom in IL, Cindy and I went to a bead shop in Springfield. The owner of the shop had just returned from the big bead show in Milwaukee that Cindy and I had also attended. The lady took us upstairs, away from the shop, to show Cindy and me the beads she bought at the show. She didn't have them marked yet for sale in the shop, so Cindy and I got first dibs on them. There were these wonderful, rusty, smashed bottle caps that I HAD to buy, but I had no idea what I was going to do with them. When I got home, I made a necklace and wore it a few times. When I was in Tulsa a couple of months later, I met my friend Rhonda for lunch and she bought my Bottle Cap Roadkill necklace.

After Cindy and I started our new line of jewelry made from recycling things, I thought of those rusty, smashed bottle caps. I think that another necklace and a pair of earrings might sell in the Walleska store. Yesterday on my walk around West Village, I looked for some rusty, smashed bottle caps, but I didn't find any. The parking lots around where I live are too clean! I started thinking about where I could find these old bottle caps that I needed for my new pieces of jewelry. Then it hit me! Deep Ellum! This is an area close to downtown Dallas that used to be THE PLACE to go for bars, restaurants, unique shops and tattoo parlors. This was in the late 90's. Since then, many of the places have closed down. But, when Bob and I walked around today to look for rusty, smashed bottle caps, I hit the jackpot! I can't wait to start making some more Roadkill Bottle Cap jewelry!

No comments:

Post a Comment