Tuesday, April 20, 2010

"Life"


"Life"

A Tribute to Cavan Scott Tubbs by Linda Tubbs Moody

My Son, Cavan Scott Tubbs, was a man who loved life and lived it to the fullest. He was passionate about the ones he loved, his parents, wife, family and friends. Cavan had a passion for any sport that gave him a rush like snowboarding, water skiing, bungee jumping and above all else, motorcycles.

At the age of fourteen, I watched Cavan buy his first motorcycle for fifteen dollars. The motorcycle didn't run, but Cavan took it apart and put it back together again. The motorcycle worked so well that he sold it for $250.00 Cavan was quite an entrepreneur and was able to use his skills to make money.

At the age of twenty-seven, Cavan built a racing motorcycle and joined his friends racing on a motorcycle track. On November 6, 2005, Cavan joined his friend Dale and drove to Jennings, Forida for a practice run, using Cavan's custom-made racing motorcycle.

According to Dale, both he and Cavan were attempting to pass a group of racers. Dale made it around the group but Cavan was nowhere to be seen. Dale went back to search for Cavan and could not find him. Dale contacted the officials who found Cavan "deep in the woods" that surrounded the track, lying on the ground with his motorcycle close by.

Life Flight was contacted and flew Cavan to Shands Hospital in Gainesville, Florida. Family and friends joined me to support him. After a long night at the hospital, the doctor met to inform us that Cavan no longer had brain activity and was considered dead.

Lifequest, an organ -donor group was contacted as Cavan was an organ donor. Cavan's liver, kidneys and pancreas were able to be used to give life to three other people in need.

After a year, I sent correspondence to three recipients. Two who responded were Michael and DeWayne who received Cavan's organs. On January 10, 2010, I was able to meet them in Gainesville, Florida. It was a consensus of opinion of all, that Cavan was present in our meeting.

Cavan lived life to the fullest and upon his death gave the hope of life to three needy people who were able to receive his organs. May Cavan live on through these men and in some way continue his legacy.

I want to thank my sister for painting the picture of Cavan, DeWayne, Michael and me to submit to the National Learning Congress Gallery of Hope 2010. I also want to thank my dad, Rollin Smith, my sister-in-law, Chris Smith and Jeanette Laury for helping me write the 400-word description that will be submitted with the painting. And, I want to thank my friend Mary Kulpon for suggesting that we name the painting, "Life", which I thought was so appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment