Monday, August 2, 2010

Florida Navy Moms

When Bob and I lived in Sarasota, I joined a Florida Navy Moms group after seeing an article in a newspaper about the group. I joined in September 2004. The Florida Navy Moms (FLNM) have reunions at different locations around the state of FL and when I joined, the group was meeting in Bradenton, so it was convenient for me to attend. I went by myself and I didn't know what to expect that first time. I had lunch with the ladies and chatted with the ladies who sat at my table. Then, I filled up a box of goodies to send to my sailor -- Cavan. I didn't know what else was planned, so I left the group and went home. I kept in touch via emails with Peggy, one of the FLNM mom who was living in Bradenton, but I didn't do anything more with the group until Cavan had his motorcycle accident and died on November 7, 2005. I notified Peggy shortly afterwards. She collected money from the FLNM to buy a magnolia tree in Cavan's honor and she and her husband brought it to our house and planted it in our front yard. I started attending the reunions and getting more involved after that. I met the most wonderful group of women who shared a common bond -- sons, daughters and family members who are in the Navy. We were given a banner to wear to the reunions and to put the FLNM pins from our various reunions on it. I keep my FLNM banner in my dresser drawer where I see it whenever I pull it out to remind me of my terrific FLNM friends I have made, and of course, of Cavan too.

No comments:

Post a Comment