Saturday, February 6, 2010

Bead for Life

This is a photo of a necklace, earrings and bracelet that I made from paper beads that I bought from an organization called BeadforLife. Their mission statement is this:

Beadforlife creates sustainable opportunities for women to lift their families out of extreme poverty by connecting people worldwide in a circle of exchange that enriches everyone.

These women beaders and tailors are primarily impoverished women who are hardworking, intelligent, and strong in their desire to improve their lives. They make gorgeous handcrafted paper beads from recycled paper and turn them into necklaces, bracelets, and earrings. Because the beaders use recycled, colorful paper, the beads help prevent environmental degradation. What was trash becomes beauty, money, food, and hope.

This organization takes donations, so I am going to donate my time to make anyone who wants a necklace, bracelet and earrings from these Ugandan paper beads and who is willing to pay me for the materials only. I will charge you $15 for each necklace and I will donate $10 IN YOUR NAME to BeadforLife. If you would like a bracelet, I will charge you $20 for each bracelet that I make and I will donate $15 to BeadforLife. For every pair of earrings that I make, I will charge you $8 and I will donate $5 to BeadforLife. You do not have to select these designs. If you want to tell me how you want your necklace, bracelet or earrings, I will be willing to make it how you want them. I cannot, however, determine the color, shape or pattern of the beads.

Donations to BeadforLife go directly towards eradicating poverty in Uganda. 93 cents of every dollar is invested in community development work fighting extreme poverty, including projects in health care, vocational training for out-of-school youth, affordable housing, and entrepreneurial skills development. BeadforLife is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization (tax ID: 20-1683139). Donations are tax deductible.

If you want more information on BeadforLife, you can visit their website at www.beadforlife.org

Give me your order now and let's help these women who want to help themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment