Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Tacos, Gelato & Cannolis, Oh My!


Can you recall some of the first times you tried a certain food? I can. I was eating some gelato today and it reminded me of the first time I ate it. Bob and I were visiting in Florida and we went to Downtown Disney in Orlando. He introduced me to gelato and from then on, I was hooked! It is so creamy, cold and wonderful tasting!! There is a gelato store in West Village where I live now and it is really hard for me not to just walk over there every day to get some. I also remember the first time I ate tacos. My ex-husband, David and I were skiing in Vail, CO in the early 70's. Everyone sits outside to eat lunch, even though it is cold. But, after skiing the slopes, you actually feel warm when you sit down to eat outside. We ordered these tacos and they were the best food I had every eaten. Again, I was hooked! And then there are the cannolis. Bob and I went to Boston in October 2002. I won some tickets to fly anywhere that Southwest flies, so we chose to go to Boston. I had never been there. I have a cousin who lives near Boston and a brother who lives in Groton, MA. I wanted to visit them and I wanted to see the changing of the colors of the leaves, but we were too early that year and we didn't see much. We took a walking tour of the Freedom Trail in downtown Boston, even though it was in the 50's and drizzly. We walked on our own, at our own pace. There was a bakery with cannolis in the window. I had never had cannolis, so Bob talked me into going inside to eat one. Oh, boy! They were so delicious!

Bob and I love to eat out and we could be good food critics. We watch these shows on TV too of food critics like Guy Fieri from the "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" on Food Network. He goes around to unique restaurants all across America and eats wonderful dishes. Bob and I are kind of picky eaters though, and I'm sure we wouldn't try some of those dishes, such as octopus or snake stew. But, I still think it would be fun to travel around the U.S. and try some different places to eat. When we travel we do seek out the local hang outs to eat. We've encountered some good ones and some bad ones. But, this gives us something to talk about and remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment