Thursday, September 17, 2009

Day of the Dead

I am all ready -- accessory wise -- for our Day of the Dead celebration at our church, Emanuel Lutheran Church. The Day of the Dead is a holiday celebrated by Mexicans and Latin Americans living in the US. The holiday focuses on gatherings of family and friends to pray for and remember friends and family members who have died. The celebration occurs on November 1st, which is All Saint's Day and All Soul's Day which occurs on Nov 2nd. Traditions include building private altars honoring the deceased, using sugar skulls, marigolds, and the favorite foods and beverages of the departed, and visiting graves with these as gifts. I found and bought this enamel skull bead at the Bead Merchant bead store when I was in Tulsa over the Labor Day weekend. So, I'm all ready with my new necklace for our Day of the Dead celebration and I'll be thinking of Cavan and celebrating his short life.

No comments:

Post a Comment