Sunday, September 20, 2009

My Favorite Oatmeal Cookies

Here is a photo of a plate of my favorite oatmeal cookies. I got into a baking mode yesterday. I took the cookies (and banana bread) to church today for the Fellowship Hour and I'm glad I did, as no one had signed up to host it and no one else brought anything. These oatmeal cookies were cut out with a Sun Giant (raisins) cookie cutter, which I acquired in the late 70's or early 80's by probably sending in box tops and a couple of dollars. There were a set of 3 of the cookie cutters. The cookies have these cute little faces on them from the Sun Giant cookie cutter, but you can just put a small amount of dough in your hand, roll it around and smash it flat on the cookie sheet. Here is my recipe:

1 cup raisins 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup chopped dates 1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 1/4 cups flour 1 cup shortening
1 teaspoon salt 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
1/2 teaspoon baking soda 1 egg
2 cups oatmeal (uncooked) 1/2 cup almonds, chopped

Cover the raisins and dates with boiling water and let sit for 10 minutes. DRAIN THE WATER FROM THE RAISINS AND DATES BEFORE ADDING TO THE BATTER. Cream together shortening, brown sugar and egg. Add flour, salt, baking soda and spices. Add to sugar mixture. Add raisins, dates, oats and almonds. HINT: If you chop up the dates, raisins and nuts to a fine texture when you are using a cookie cutter, especially one like I used, you can see the cute, little detail on the cookies. You don't have to chop them up very fine if you just use a round cookie cutter or roll them into a ball in your hand. Roll out the dough if you are using a cookie cutter. Place the cookies on an ungreased baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees for about 12 minutes. Enjoy!!

By the way, I bought this plate in 1995 from an antique store in the West End in Dallas. Bob's dad gave me some money for my birthday and he told me to buy something nice for myself. We came down to Dallas for a weekend and I bought this plate. Bob's dad was very disappointed. I think he wanted me to buy something more personal, but I fell in love with this plate and I think of Bob's dad whenever I use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment