Monday, September 28, 2009

The Smell of Charbroiled BEEF

Do certain smells take you back to your childhood or an earlier time in you life? They do for me. Every time I walk by the Urban Cafe across the street from our Dallas apartment, I smell charbroiled beef. Ummm! This smell takes me back to my days of living on Barry Street in the Newtown area of Chicago. My first husband and I would walk down Broadway and the smell of charbroiled beef would waft up my nose. Oh, it smelled so good! We would go into a restaurant there and I'd order and eat a hamburger. One of the restaurants served what was called "The Mother Load". As most of you might know, I don't eat any beef now. Not for any health reasons. It's just because I don't like the taste of it. I used to eat it many years ago though. In the 1970's we even had a freezer with a side of beef in it. My parents did this, so I guess that's why I did it too. I do love the SMELL of that charbroiled BEEF! Whenever I smell it and say something to Bob about loving the smell, he says to me, "You know, this is DEAD COW you are smelling?" OK. Yes, I know I'm smelling BEEF, but as long as I don't have to eat it!

No comments:

Post a Comment