Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Kitchen Duty!

The Emanuel Lutheran Church in Dallas where Bob and I are members is providing a Summer Reading Program for 3 weeks for neighborhood children. We serve breakfast and lunch to the kids also. The Kitchen Queen, Jackie, asked me to help. I really didn't want to, as I have a lot going on right now, but she caught me at a weak moment. I worked in the kitchen on Mon. and Tues., but today I'm home working on the church newsletter that is due July 1st. The reading program had 14 kids in attendance on Mon. and 11 kids on Tues. And, yesterday we had 6 people working in the kitchen and we were falling all over each other. I figured they could do without me today. Jackie has planned the menus for the 3 weeks. On Mon. we served boxed cereal and grapes for breakfast and beef and bean burritos for lunch. Yesterday, Chad made pancakes for breakfast. The kids had spaghetti, salad and banana pudding for lunch. People from other churches are helping out with the program. There are people reading to the kids and playing word games with them. The kids are also reading to the volunteers. I was told that the Dallas Independent School District (DISD) is holding summer school this week and that might be why attendance for our reading program is so light. Maybe the next two weeks will be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment